Linksys Setup for AC1200 Max Wi-Fi Range Extender with RE6500 router can be accessed in two ways, one is Embedded Setup Wizard (Browser-based Setup) and another is Wi-Fi Protected Setup also known as WPS. We are going to discuss both methods, you can opt for the required one.
Linksys Setup with Range Extender via Embedded Setup Wizard
- Connect the Antennas to the RE6500 Router and plug in the power adapter as well as power on the switch.
- Make sure the Antennas are positioned in the upright position.
- Place the AC1200 Max Wifi Range Extender in the middle of Linksys Smart Wifi Router and other connected devices.
- Power on your Extender and have patience until the solid light of AC1200 gets to stable. It may take one to two minutes.
- Using the wireless Linksys setup, connect your device to the range extender.
- Using the wireless device, connect to range extender’s default SSID where last three digits will be range extender’s MAC address. Stay connected.
In case, you want a wired setup to your device, you need to connect the end of an internet cable to your Router and connect another end to the computer. Keep on remember, your device should not be connected wirelessly to your network.
- Go to your PCs web browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
- Click on the ‘Start’ option
- Click on the ‘I Agree’
- Choose the wireless network showing both bands SSID. If it is taking time then you can enter the SSID name and password manually.
- You will get access to spot finder which allows you to determine the signal strength of the Linksys Smart Wifi Router and Range Extender.
- Enter the Wireless network password and click on the ‘Next’.
- Automatically the extended network names were created as _Ext for 2.4 GHz network and _5GHz_Ext network, click on the ‘Next’.
- To make it secure, Create an admin password with a security hint, Click on ‘Next’
- Your screen will display ‘Your Extender is Setup’
- In order to Linksys Setup access in future, you must connect with SSID _Ext or 5GHz_Ext.
Linksys Setup with Range Extender via WPS
Wi-Fi Protected Setup allows one to connect with WPS supporting devices such as wireless printers and many others. Following are the three ways to connect with WPS.
Connect the Devices via WPS Button:
- You can either press the WPS button located on your router or can go to the web-based setup page where WPS button is placed on the right side. You need to click this.
Connect The Device Using WPS Pin:
When your device already has the WPS Personal Identification Number located to its bottom then you can use this method.
- Go to browser > 192.168.1.1 > leave the username blank and confirm the password ‘admin’ until you change > Ok.
- Wireless > click on ‘Wi-Fi Protected Setup’
- Type the device WPS PIN in the blank field and click on ‘Register’ button.
After this process, your device has connected to the router via wirelessly WPS. Whether you make any change or troubleshoot any errors, make sure to click on the ‘Ok’ to save and continue the setup.
Connect the Device via Router’s WPS PIN:
- After accessing the basic setup page > click on the ‘Wireless’ > Wi-Fi Protected Setup
- Note down WPS pin showing to the right side, it is in numerical characters. You can also get the Router’s PIN at the bottom of the router along with serial no. and MAC address. When your device asks for Router WPS Pin, you can enter the 8 digit WPS pin taken from your router.
In any, a condition when you go with Linksys Setup either WPS or Embedded Setup Wizard, make sure to press ‘Ok’ to save the changes.